With all the bloodless climate currently I had been playing a whole lot of soup recipes and with Saint Patrick’s Day across the corner I made this Irish fashion potato and cabbage soup.
This soup is so short and clean to make and it’s so suitable; specifically with some clean baked Irish potato bread
Colcannon Soup (aka Irish Potato and Cabbage Soup with Bacon)
2 large leeks, sliced
8 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch slices
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green onions, sliced and divided
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
4 cups cabbage, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan before setting aside and reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the onions and leeks and the whites of the green onions and cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, cream, potatoes, cabbage, and bacon, bring to a boil reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the greens of the green onions and enjoy!